If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I've been working on a Design/Build project for the last couple of months. It is located in the heart of the Harvard/Yale neighborhood in Salt Lake City, Utah. I'm so excited for my first independent build project and am looking forward to sharing the progress with all of you. Some of you have built or remodeled before so you're familiar with the process. For those of you who haven't, I'm going to blog throughout the project so you can see not only the design elements come to life, but the vision of the home as a whole.
I think it's important to set clear objectives and goals when undertaking a project large or small. With this project, my main goals are:
1. Build a home that fits in to the neighborhood and compliments the intrinsic charm of its surroundings
2. Create an inheritable home that's classic and elegant, yet livable. Because it's a speculative (spec) home, I want it to feel warm and inviting to appeal to a wide variety of potential buyers.
3. Functionality is critical, so I spent a lot of time working with the architect, tweaking the layout, roofline, windows, etc. to maximize every inch of the home. I drove around the neighborhood noticing features I loved on existing homes and how I could incorporate unique architectural details to make the home feel special.
4. Quality is key so every element, detail, system, and finish that goes in to the home will be best in industry.
5. This project will be a direct reflection of my brand, so while it's extremely scary to be so visibly vulnerable and opening up myself to criticism, I hope the end result is something I'm extremely proud of.
I hope you enjoy the journey!